As someone who is allergic to stinging insects such as bees and wasps and one who has had a number of allergic reactions I felt it would be important and beneficial to others to share important information about how to use precautions against stinging insects.
Stinging insects are really prevalent and active during the summer months but you don't have to let them spoil your—or your family's fun—if you make it a point to take the proper precautions.
In the United States stings from insect bites send more than 500,000 people to hospitals and cause at least 50 deaths —according to "The American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology!"
Common stinging insects include honey bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and fire ants and you must use caution if you are outside—particularly during the summer months—and use extra caution if you know you are allergic to stinging insects.
Be sure to use caution when:
When a sting occurs it is important that you are aware of an allergic reaction—since they can be "deadly!"
A normal reaction will include pain, swelling and redness at the sting site—but an allergic reaction requires immediate medical attention—as I can attest to after going into anaphylaxis on several occasions—and almost losing my life.
If you or your child is allergic to insect stings or other known allergens—be sure to notify teachers, coaches and camp counselors and teach them how to use epinephrine or an epi pen as it is often called.
An epinephrine injector or an epi pen is the most immediate way to treat a severe allergic reaction and it has helped me on numerous occasions.
Your doctor—or an allergist can normally prescribe an epinephrine injector or an epi pen and they can teach you and your family members how to use it properly.
Be sure to discuss the precautions that you have learned in this discussion with your children and loved ones so they can take the right action and protect themselves from stinging insects from this day forward.